an attempt to tip the scales

losing what i love in a mess of details

Saturday, April 08, 2006

some poems

by Amy

The most

The most beauty I ever saw
Was when I knelt outside of your window
And breathed into where you wanted so badly
To escape from

And then I reached without looking or asking
Into your room
I laid down next to you in your bed
And told you a fairytale I know used to be true
When I only worried about weather
And the sun was my mother

But now, son and daughter
I’m young and unborn
So I keep you above the shelf in the kitchen
With the calendar and clock
So when we meet, not in heaven
But on earth
I’ll do my best
To make it the most beautiful
Time of day for all of us
Happy birthday, mother
Happy birthday, father
Our family has sprung from a seed in the yard


What Joy

I can’t tell you without whispering into your lungs
How I feel about the earth
I’ll sing past what makes
Your insides all run
I’ll tell you the truth

Winds blow when there’s doubt
From all continents and women
We have burned until barren
Like a trap set for ghosts

And ugliness sleeps in a boat in the ocean
Lighthouses welcome company, more lonely than scared
Like a man I grew up with
Too ruined to come clean

The most beautiful child
I’ve seen in a while
Looks like me
So I know there’s still joy
Somewhere

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home