an attempt to tip the scales

losing what i love in a mess of details

Thursday, December 21, 2006

December 21

By Amy Lipman

I.

A child talks to God
Through the pipes of a furnace
She says
I will melt the icebergs
If you give me a new body

I will stop Hell's freezing
Turn your world into Earth
Wires snap
But Father's parched
Let him drink your milky thighs

II.

I prayed for solace
And you sent a jackhammer
Outside of my window
On Sabbath mornings
Cut down the tree outside my apartment
What does it matter
I still know the truth

Breathe in my trinity
Cough out the vines
Hugging tight both your hearts
Once your chest
Now a suitcase

You rain on my skin
Licks of strength, mostly charm
To call all the snakes home
We all crawl, scoot along
Slip forward on bellies

2 Comments:

At 4:43 PM, Blogger localpoet said...

Amy,
Your words make me yearn for something I've never experienced; for some memory I have yet to make. It makes me feel like I'm at my childhood home but have never stepped foot in the door. It's wonderful.

love,
bru.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger localpoet said...

bru, even your comments sound like poetry...you and amy both have more talent in your little pinky toes than most people do in their entire existence. THAT'S what's wonderful.

-stace

 

Post a Comment

<< Home