an attempt to tip the scales

losing what i love in a mess of details

Saturday, October 02, 2004

Missing a Piece

by line dry only

where were you?
i've looked around, there's nothing in sight
no sounds, places, taste.
so blandly spun like the tip of your tongue
that doesn't weave words with grace
and you expect me to bow down
and follow your every move
and you don't even see
the stabbing
pain
so cliche, i know. but somebody's gotta say it --
you walk into a room like we should all finally
"see the light"
i didn't know you were a god.
i just thought you were my dad
when you toss around any
losing fights ridiculous insults
crushing tears sassing my intelligence
you make me feel like

shit.

and i just wanted to let you know,
that maybe if you didn't forget
how to spell my middle name
to pick me up at various ages, even in the snow
that maybe if you didn't forget
not to leave me stranded alone
not to lead me so far and gone
that maybe if you didn't forget
the color of my eyes
when my birthday is

and come home empty minded
with me sitting at the table

eating some cereal
and watching some sad kids program
where they talk about how
drugs and alcohol and sex
are all so bad for you
well maybe they wouldn't hurt as much as this.

and i ask you,
"daddy, why didn't you come home right away? isn't today
special?"

the look on your face - is priceless.
you forgot your only daughter's birthday.

and it happened more than once

and
when you say

when you say
that i've said so many insulting things to you in a week
and you don't even know how inferior you make me feel

maybe
if you didn't
do
that,

then you could see how much
i hate the way your mind is slumbering
and i wish that you knew that you're
almost
losing
my
love

i wrote a story about you once.
about how i saw so much in your eyes.
and your smile.

you read it
and you said --

"i didn't think i showed anything
like this."

as if to say,,
i didn't think
you noticed
or
i didn't think
you cared
or
i didn't think

i didn't think..
i cared.

i chip away
so cliche
but i die.

everyday.

3 Comments:

At 5:27 PM, Blogger localpoet said...

I like this a lot because I can relate to some of the things that happen with my dad. What you wrote was so true and grasped my attention emotionally. I like where you say "I hate the way your mind is slumbering." I like it A LOT.

I wrote something about my dad once, and I almost showed it to him, but I don't think he'd understand. He doesn't really care for my artistic ability that much. Maybe I'm afraid of the reaction that your father gave you in this poem.

-chrissy aka steadfast twilight

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger localpoet said...

guys i keep trying to edit my post (this one), because i forgot to put my name on it. in case you can't see how i edited it because my computer is being an ass, then just read my comment instead.

missing a piece
by line dry only

aka sophie aka margaret.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger localpoet said...

Thanks Chrissy -
I understand completely
to the guys that write on here - when you become dads, make sure you really try.
dads are fickle.

Margaret aka line dry only
(...again. haha.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home