an attempt to tip the scales

losing what i love in a mess of details

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Drunk Driving

by Surreal as Sunlight

When you left that night
I was still under your influence
And I needed to get out

My foot became one with the gas pedal
Suburban lights glazed past me
Like a stampede of fireflies

I arrived at your dwelling
and when the eldest of three
exhausting boxes was missing

My
Chest
Dropped.

Breathing went up past 80 mph

The wheel spun around and I followed it.
I was well informed of his location, so that's where my hands and foot led me next.

It was no suprise,
there was you,
and the oblivious.

I wanted to scream out the truth
So that maybe he could know

but all that came out was my slurring
through a blaring horn.

And I tried again, but the same thing happened.

That sight forced shots down my thoat.
Feeling more heavily influenced than ever.

Somehow I ended up in the left lane.
I stayed there too, so smashed.

You might even call it crunk.

I wasn't wrong until I came head to head with another.

So I swerved right.
and swayed my way back home.

A hangover of guilt took me over.
The cure? Truth, maybe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home