an attempt to tip the scales

losing what i love in a mess of details

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Take the Money and Run

by Surreal as Sunlight

It wasn't my fault.

I know all parents like to say that,
but I'm going to be an honest father.

The way that all first-loves
are actually walking sandstorms

I used to braze through that desert
I felt the warm sun glazed sand sieve through my toes
And cling to my eyelids
In a constant state of closed dry morning eyes

Your mother's long hair
was a golden curtain
to block us from the rest of the world

And on a warm June night
Minutes after the sun set
The one carries you
Led herself into my resting place

She wanted to be taken
Anxious as a classroom sleeper with the correct asnwer
like her hand was raised for so long

Brazing that sandstorm
I'm not sure I knew where I was going
Leading myself in
Practicing Catholicism like it was my death

And in that sense, you were Saved.

It wasn't too long
before the hair was cut short
The curtain was raised
The air was let in
The sand settled down

And if you remember what I said
about first loves
Well,
your mother's sandstorm was never over

And she took the treasure with her
back to her closet lover
The subconscious stream of denile
That she waded in for so long

I used to think I was rich
wandering that desert with a cause
But I was robbed before the curtain was even built

And so, you are wandering the desert with your mother
But I hope
For your sake
That you don't spend your whole life there

Because everybody goes back for the gold.

1 Comments:

At 10:32 AM, Blogger localpoet said...

shit, i love it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home