an attempt to tip the scales

losing what i love in a mess of details

Friday, April 14, 2006

I Hope One Day Your Shadow is Taller Than Mine (but until then)

by Surreal as Sunlight

He held my hand
The sun shone brightly
As he stared at our shadows
That crawled along the woodchips

“Who’s shadow is bigger?” I asked him.
“Yours,” he replied, his finger waving in the air, tracing the outline of my shadow.

It was almost noon, when we would stand our tallest.

Suddenly he left the loose clasp he had on my hand, and began to yell “Yay!” as he stumbled in circles around the playground.

I was left alone with my shadow. A dark replication of my every action.

But even without the sun and the woodchips, I had a shadow. He followed me and admired my every action.

I first thought it was simply because of my stature in comparison to his own.

Until he cried and didn’t want to be my friend anymore.

How could I have ever told him that I was paid to be his friend.
That I did not choose him.
He was chosen for me.

Through the days
We played house
Sometimes I was the elephant
And you were the mouse

I’ve never met his father figure
And I don’t know if he exists
Sometimes I wonder if
I’m the only man that gives him
Any attention

His mother thanks me so much
How can I tell her its just what
I’m paid to do
How can I tell her I don’t deserve the money
Because I’m just playing with my own shadow.

And soon he’ll be going back home
For an extended vacation
I won’t be of need anymore
But my friend, I will miss you

Because I shouldn’t be paid for this
I am just playing with my shadow.

2 Comments:

At 1:48 AM, Blogger Nitin said...

Nice poem, your writing reminds me of Ben Okri's writing , simple vocabulary. Keep on writing..

 
At 1:54 AM, Blogger Nitin said...

Nice poetry , simple words, simpler to understand, simply nice., In that case you might like Ben okri's books. they are not poems, but are nice .
Keep on writing.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home