an attempt to tip the scales

losing what i love in a mess of details

Sunday, May 25, 2008

finding my kansas

i'm a little bit Scarecrow,
prone to clumsiness and
catching fire, and making beig messes
when i'd meant to clean them up.

i'm a little bit Tinman.
the problem isn't that i have no heart,
but that i have too much of one.
i rust easily, locking up, cold as steel,
whenever emotions are involved.

i'm a little bit Lion,
ringing my fingers, on edge,
hiding behind manes of hair,
stuttering and stammering,
searching for roars that
escaped me.

but i'm most like Dorothy,
living in black and white,
blinded by color.
i love my dog a little too much
and just want to go home.

except for the fact that i was never from Kansas.

2 Comments:

At 2:28 PM, Blogger localpoet said...

Who's the author of this poem? It's incredibly clever. The only suggestion I would make is to get rid of the last sentence. You know what you're talking about by the choice of your title.

But I like this poem a lot. The characters from Wizard of Oz had such real faults that everyday people have, and you've explained that wonderfully.

-chrissy bru

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger localpoet said...

it's me, bru bru. i agree about the last sentence, i've just been too lazy to go back and get rid of it, just as i've been too lazy to go back and put my name on it, hahaha.

-stace

 

Post a Comment

<< Home